30 iul. 2010

butterflies

I remember that since I was just a kid I used to be afraid of butterflies. And then in school I had to make this sadistic thing of pining insects on a polistyrene board and present them to the teacher. That made me feel pitty for them. I couldn't do it. I thought it was inhumane and went ahead getting a bad grade at school. Then later on, few years later, I discovered the beautiful creatures pinned and sold in an African Art shop. I stared at the gift set box and wondered at the miracle of their conservation, the beautiful colors and realized that maybe it's not so bad to have something like that in your house.
Now, I feel butterflies in my stomach with the excitement of every little thing that happens around me and I am thinking of the poor creatures. We are using them to decorate our houses, to get better grades in school and to describe a beautiful thing such as excitement. Isn't it funny? And where are they left in nature? We keep missing seeing them for real, but keep referring to the dead animals. Kind of sad to see all this cruel thinking going on.

Niciun comentariu: